Monday, March 22, 2010

Lox

While I was typing that prior entry, my lovely pregnant bride brought me out a treat. It was lox on a bagel. I first read about lox about 3 years ago in Book 10 of the Series of Unfortunate Events series (since we were just talking about kids lit). When I read about yummy food, I have a little notecard where I write down the foods I want to try. This is how I first became exposed to samosas, tandoori chicken and pul kogi, later tracking them down on allrecipes.com, creating and tasing them. (And yes, I did make all those things myself, only needing my wife's help locating where the flour is kept, where the measuring cups are, etc. [basically my kitchen GPS] {I am really on a parenthetical kick tonight-FOCUS!})

So yes, lox. Oh. My. Goodness. So good. I should have taken a picture because the one she made for me looked 10 times better than this one because it had herbs rubbed into the salmon soooo goooood. And this was like the best picture I could find, and I went through like 6 pages of on the google image search.

So yes, lox. It is finely sliced cured salmon. On a whole wheat bagel with cream cheese. Apparently, this culinary treat came to the United States via Eastern European Jews. So thank you, Eastern European Jews.

My bride hands it to me, I bite it and say, "I might just have to write an entry about this." Then she provides the connection and says, "Because of the census, we can get a splurge food item again!" This made me happy, and I did my high-pitch voice I do when I'm making the baby talk, "This is good stuff! I'm getting smarter!" Do you know how good salmon is for babies?

3 comments:

  1. yay u have a blog! I LOVE lox and have been craving them after Javkie called about where to buy them..can I share this for my tasty tuesday post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, why not. As long as you voted in the cheese poll... :)

    ReplyDelete

Visits