Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Most Amazing Library DVD Collection

I try not to use real names and places on this blog, so let me tell you about a little town called "Yurten."

I first traveled to Yurten a few weeks back. Tiny town: a little bank, a mini-grocery store, a closed highschool that the town has turned into a community center where area doctors visit every week or so. And a library. I dropped by the library to hang up flyers and drop off brochures, but also to chat up the librarian about the community. I have quickly learned that the librarian knows more about the town than anyone else.

This librarian uses the government funds she receives quite craftily. There are books, yes. But there is also an amazing selection of audio books and a TV with video games for the kids to drop by and play after school. And then there is the DVD section. It is MASSIVE. And not with random leftover titles that no one wants to check out, like Feeling Minnesota or Say it Aint So! But a diverse array of new releases, classics and TV on DVD.

That DVD section kept haunting me. I couldn't stop thinking about it. So today, when I returned to Yurten to hang some new flyers, I stopped by on my dinner break and asked if I could get a library card.

"Oh honey, this is Yurten. You don't need a library card."

I wrote my name and address on a notecard. ("Do you have a wife or kids that will be watching these too? We get two dollars for every person that uses our materials.") And then I selected 10 DVDs (because that is a nice even number that I'll be able to remember, right?) which I get to keep for 2 weeks. Here were my selections.

For the family
Little House on the Prairie Season 2
Ratatouille
Homeward Bound
Robin Hood-awesome Disney version
Pooh's Grand Adventure

For the little woman and me
Now, Voyager
Paths of Glory
Dog Day Afternoon
Frida
24 Season 1

It was like Christmas. Christmas in Yurten.

3 comments:

  1. i want to go there. (in my best tina fey voice.) i vote frieda. that unibrow never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought i posted a comment, but i am new at this so i may have done it wrong. i need directions to Yurten and second, i expect to be loaned the best of what you borrowed when you are thru :)

    ReplyDelete

Visits