Monday, April 5, 2010

Music Monday: Sufjan Stevens

Thursday Three got me thinking about what other weekly blog rituals I could create that would keep me accountable in the frequency of my posting. Welcome to our newest weekly feature, where I share some of the music I listen to during my hour long drive to the county I recruit in. These are the songs that inspire me, the songs the governement pays for me to listen to.

I am very impressionable when it comes to music. I just don't have time to explore the newest artists. I've been meaning to check out this pandora thing for over a year, but alas. Very rarely do I hear a song the first time and like it right away. Every once in a great while, I'll hear a song in a movie (or on American Idol) and will add it to my playlist right away. But usually it takes multiple listens for me to fall in love with a song. And I really don't have time to give new songs multiple listens. So I depend on the recomendations of my friends to guide me to quality tunes. And luckily, my friends have very good taste in music.

So, on the left side of the screen is a playlist that you can start if you'd like to hear the melodious sounds of Sufjan Stevens. (Pronounced SOOF-yon. Go here if you'd like an amusing article he wrote about his name. Yes, Sarah, this is mostly for you)

If you, like me, had never heard of him, you are in for a treat. I originally was just going to pick 2 or 3 of his songs, but I couldn't narrow it down any lower than seven. His music is really beyond words. And certainly beyond my vocabulary of words as we near midnight. The name Sufjan means "comes with a sword." I know if I were more awake I could make a profoundly poetic and strikingly apt connection between that and his music. But that's not happening right now. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to explain it more comprehenisbly. But for tonight, let's just say his songs are like a Grandma Moses painting. Simple but very detailed. Deeply affecting. Richly personal. Resonant. Painting the whole intimate landscape with a variety of instrumental and religious brushstrokes. Hope you enjoy. Goodnight.

4 comments:

  1. i have never been a blog follower before, but you may have just converted me! very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed listening to these selections as I baked cakes today. Thanks for broadening my musical horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I didn't realize you had a POST about Sufjan. I just thought it was your playlist in the sidebar...

    I am glad I can help your horizons.

    - Sarah S

    ReplyDelete
  4. So did you enjoy the article he wrote about his name or what?

    ReplyDelete

Visits