Thursday, April 1, 2010

Reason #2: Flexible


My position as a recruiting assistant has been the most flexible job I've ever had. I make my own hours. I am on strict orders to NEVER work over 40 hours, and on a not so strict suggestion that I should work at least 5 every week. But as long as I get some time in a few days after school, or one day over the weekend, I'm good to go for the minimum. The real challenge is trying to get as many hours in as I can, considering this is a second job and I have certain commitments that have to come first with teaching. Every day I work, I fill out my timesheet with my hours, fax it in. At the end of the week, I mail them all those timesheets as well as a worksheet that explains what I did each day. "Sat at Alco. Sat at IGA. Put up posters. Worked on blog."

I imagine the census taker position that many people will be filling this summer will also be VERY flexible. They want people who will be available to work evening hours, when people are at home. So I think this job would be ideal for a number of people: 1. College students home for summer break, often its hard to find a job for only 3 months. Well, the government wants you! 2. Senior citizens with a little bit of extra time on their hands and a desire for a little extra income. 3. People who are looking for an easy second job to supplement their income. Especially teachers! 4. Stay-at-home moms who would like a job where they make their own hours and so they'd only work once Dad is home to take over with the kiddos. Think about it!

On a final note, before I started typing this, I says to myself, "What picture or video could accompany this article to make it a little more interesting?" So I googled "flexible" (with SafeSearch on, mind you!) and I got a lot of contortionists. Same thing on YouTube. Yes, they are interesting, but in a totally freakish way. I can't view them without feeling nauseous at what they are doing to their silly putty, joint popping bodies. So, you got a drinking straw. It's late. I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits